Open Tsunami Alert System

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

 

Status report sent tonight

Most everyone who's email address I had as being interested in OTAS should have received this report. The one exception is the people for whom I have sourceforge project addresses; for some reason (I'm pursuing it with my ISP) email from my home email is rejected by sourceforge.

.. :Time-stamp: <2005-01-12>

*****************************************************************
Status Notes to Participants (and others)
*****************************************************************

:author: Charlie Martin
:date: 2005-01-12 19:51 (Zulu-7)

Folks, thank you all for volunteering, and forgive me for this
form letter, but I'm flat-out astonished at how much activity
this has gotten, and I just don't have time to answer everyone
individually. So, if you're getting this, you've either
volunteered your help, or you've somehow otherwise indicated
enough interest that I think you may be sucked in.

I'm anxious to bring everyone into the project as soon as
possible. This will require, primarily, that I learn how to work
the Source Forge project, which means I've got a bunch of
documentation to read.

In the mean time, here's what I'd suggest:

(1) let's keep the discussion going on the blog until I can
create a mailing list and/or forum, along with a home page.
Brian, I accept your offer with thanks, take a shot at a
couple of logos and we'll put them up for a vote ASAP.
Similarly, a simple website design. My own prejudice is
very strongly toward great simplicity and (as I'm getting to
That Age) relatively large fonts. Of course, if anyone else
wants to try their hand at logos, I'm all for it.

(2) We discussed Python and Java in order to put a stake in the
ground, and because the SF.net people, for non-obvious
reasons, wanted a choice before they'd approve the project.
My real feeling is that we'll eventually want not just
Python and Java, but also PHP, some Microsoft-specific
stuff, and very possibly Fortran so we can steal, er, obtain
appropriate numerical codes.

So, if you're not a Java person, don't think we're not
interested. "Let a thousand flowers bloom" and all that.

(3) My bias is very strongly toward openness in this whole
project, but I didn't have the foresight to mention anything
when I started the blog. What I'd *like* to do is make the
developers and associated people list open to everyone, in
something like this format:

:name: Full Name
:handle: ie, login name
:email: email address
:IM: IM addresses
:bio: Short bio, one paragraph.

Is everyone cool with that? If so, please drop me a note
with that information (leave out anything you don't want to
include) and I'll set up the list.

For that reason, I'm mailing this out to everyone under a
BCC:, in order not to expose your email addresses.

**PLEASE** unless you have a strong reason to the contrary,
let me at least pass out a handle and email address. I
won't publish them on the website(s), but it will mean I can
avoid doing a lot of middle-man stuff.

Thanks again, all of you, for volunteering. I apologize for my
failings as an instant project organizer, but bear with me and
we'll get this going.

.. Local Variables:
.. fill-column: 65
.. End:


<< Home

Archives

January 2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?